Each time when you click on a link to download a file, Firefox download window will pop up. This is really annoying because it blocks our view to the website and we need to minimize it every time it appears. But there is a Firefox extension that will replace it from a disturbing download window into a small nice download statusbar.
Download Statusbar is a Firefox extension that will replace your current Firefox download window into download statusbar. This extension will appear above the status bar in your Firefox and will not disturb you while you browse a website. It will sit there until you asked it to do something for you.
Download Statusbar – Firefox Extension
During the download, it will show you the progress bar, the download speed, the file size and estimated time. When you mouse over the download bar, you will get extra information about the file you are downloading.
When a download is finished
When the download is finished, you can right-click on the file and choose whether you want to ‘Open’ the file, ‘Open the containing folder’ or you can delete that file from your hard drive (just incase you don’t want it from your system, of course). It is really convenient and easy to use. If you don’t like the Full Mode, its ok, you can switch it to Mini Mode.
Mini Mode in action
You also can change the behaviour of this extension. Go to Tools > Add-on and click on Download Statusbar options to change the settings. There are a lot of options available. You can change the Appearance, General Settings and you even can set it to do virus scan when a download is completed.
Download Statusbar features:
- Auto-hides when not in use
- Single-click pause and resume
- Pause all, Resume all, Cancel all, and Remove all finished – available from the context menu of the bar itself
- Run a completed file with a double click on its finished box. Open containing folder, remove, and rename from the context menu
- In-line view of percent done, speed in KB/sec, KB downloaded so far, and remaining time, can be customized in the options.
- Updating tool tip provides a more detailed view of the current download, including source, destination, size of the download and the remaining time
- Option to automatically clear files after a specified number of seconds
- Copy source URL from the context menu
- Stop downloads and save them for the next browser session.
- Delete a file from your system from the context menu
- Localized strings for translation
- Download history can be viewed and configured to only keep the last download items
- Option to start virus scanner when a download completes
- On browser close, option to continue downloads in download manager
If you don’t like this extension, you can remove it from Tools > Add-ons and click on Download Statusbar uninstall button and restart your Firefox to complete the process. But for me, I will not uninstall this extension because it is a must have add-on for Firefox. 😉
Download: Download Statusbar